Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 24, 2010 - Ballard Terminal Railroad


















Ballard's Lil' Beaver, a restored 1940 EMD SW-1 Diesel moves several empty hopper cars that move materials for the Salmon Bay Gravel Company. The Ballard Terminal Railroad was formed in 1997 after the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad abandoned this spur. The Ballard Terminal Railroad runs on three miles of track from Shilshole through the edge of the Ballard neighborhood's business district on the north edge of Salmon Bay to the Fremont neighborhood. The railroad serves three companies - Salmon Bay Sand and Gravel, Western Pioneer Fishing and the Olson Furniture Company. The three companies were the primary investors in starting up the railroad. The Lil' Beaver takes its name and color scheme from the Ballard High School mascot.  Bryant Johnson, in the vest, is accompanied by his boss Jim.





2 comments:

  1. hi doug ! my name is bryant johnson this is a great shot of me on one of my student trips!!! im the guy in the Orange vest i had only been working on the railroad for a few weeks.. when this was taken my boss James is sitting on the "pilot step" the other side of me i'd like to correct something the cars we are moving are empty "hopper" cars that carry concrete for salmon bay sand and gravel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the correction! (I'll change tank cars to hopper cars!)
    By the way, how did you find this picture? I think it is awesome that you did! I'd be happy to send you the print, just send me an e-mail. (my name at gmail.)

    ReplyDelete